So, you’re thinking of moving to St. Simons (SSI), but want to know Pros and Cons of Living on Saint Simons Island, Georgia. Don’t worry, in this post, I’ll break down 5 reasons why you might love living on SSI and 5 reasons why you might think twice before moving to SSI, GA.
Where Is Saint Simons Island?
Located about an hour South of Savannah, GA and an hour North of Jacksonville, FL, you’ve got the Golden Isles which includes Saint Simons Island. This island is known for its beautiful beaches, charming town, and abundant natural beauty. Whether you are considering a move to Saint Simons Island or just curious about life there, this post will provide you with an overview of some of the advantages and disadvantages of living on this unique island. So, let’s get to the pros and cons of living on Saint Simons Island Georgia!
5 Pros of Living on Saint Simons Island
- Natural Beauty – Saint Simons Island is home to miles of beautiful beaches and untouched natural beauty. Living here means you’ll have access to scenic views, peaceful walks, and a variety of outdoor activities all year round.
- Community – Saint Simons Island is a tight-knit community that values tradition and Southern hospitality. The residents here are friendly, and welcoming and give you a small-town vibe!
- Local Food Scene – The mixture of fresh coastal cuisine and southern cooking makes for a start-studded food scene. In addition, there is nearby access to local farms which makes cooking at home both sustainable and tasty. If we’re going out to eat it’s usually out on the Island as it is home to many award-winning restaurants!
- Weather – The weather on Saint Simons Island is warm and sunny for most of the year, making it an ideal place for outdoor activities and soaking up the sun on the beautiful beaches. One of my favorite things about living on the Georgia Coast is nearly year-round access to the beach. It is the most enjoyable in the fall, IMO.
- Quality of Life – The laid-back lifestyle on Saint Simons Island offers a slower pace of life, with less traffic and noise than in a bigger city. This can lead to a better quality of life, with more time to focus on family, friends, and hobbies.
PRO TIP- You’re entering #DawgNation, get a head start on your new wardrobe with my top-selling Georgia Tees:
5 Cons of Living on Saint Simons Island
- Cost of Living – The cost of living on Saint Simons Island can be higher than in other areas of Georgia. This is due to the island’s popularity as a tourist destination and the limited availability of housing.
- Traffic – During peak tourist season, the island can become congested with traffic, making it difficult to get around. This can also lead to longer commute times for those who work on the mainland (Brunswick). In addition to the seasonal traffic, the Island is accessed by a causeway – one way on, one way off – so in the event of a major traffic accident, the causeway can become inaccessible causing delays. *There were times when I was living in Brunswick and working on the Island that I could not get to the studio due to major accidents on the causeway. It wasn’t often but it did happen a time or two.*
- Limited Job Opportunities – Saint Simons Island is primarily a tourist destination, meaning that job opportunities can be limited, particularly outside of the tourism industry. However, the mainland (Brunswick), has more job opportunities outside of hospitality.
- Hurricane Season – Saint Simons Island is located in an area prone to tropical storms and hurricanes. This means that residents must be prepared for potential storms and the associated risks and disruptions. Flooding happens, and mandatory and/or voluntary evacuations happen – it’s something to consider and be aware of when purchasing a home.
- Bugs – Saint Simons Island is located well below the gnat line in Georgia (south of Macon). Sand gnats are vicious little creatures and they BITE. In addition, we have mosquitoes, deer flies and other biting insects. A screened in porch is a MUST!
Should You Move To Saint Simons Island?
To sum it up, Saint Simons Island offers a unique lifestyle and a beautiful natural environment. The island’s tight-knit community, rich history, and vibrant food scene make it an attractive place to live. However, the high cost of living, limited job opportunities, and potential risks associated with hurricanes should also be considered. Ultimately, whether Saint Simons Island is the right place for you will depend on your individual needs and priorities, and I’m here to help you during that process!
Questions About Moving to SSI?
I’m here to help you figure out if moving to Saint Simons Island, GA is for you. And if it’s not, I’m happy to assist you in finding the right Realtor elsewhere! Fill out the form below and let’s chat about your goals over a 1:1 consultation… or if you’re local, let’s grab a coffee on me!
Contact Me – Cassie Long – Licensed GA Realtor
Call/Text Direct at (404) 429-7859
Email: [email protected]
Horizon Realty, LLC 411949