Known as the gateway to Cumberland Island, St. Marys, Georgia is a premier destination for both retirees and adventure-seekers. It is also known for its historic charm and natural beauty. Let’s dive into the top five pros and cons of living in St. Marys, Georgia.
Where Is St. Marys, Georgia?
St. Marys is a city in Camden County, Georgia, United States, located on the southern border of Camden County on the St. Marys River in the state’s Low Country. The Florida border is just to the south across the river, Cumberland Island National Seashore is to the northeast, and Kingsland, Georgia, is to the west. St. Marys is also home to Kings Bay Naval Submarine Base which makes both St Marys and Kingsland a “military town.”
5 Pros of Living in St. Marys, Georgia
- NATURAL BEAUTY – St. Marys is located on the coast of Georgia and is surrounded by breathtaking natural beauty. From pristine beaches to lush forests, there is no shortage of outdoor activities to enjoy.
- HISTORIC CHARM – St. Marys is rich in history and architecture, with many buildings dating back to the 18th and 19th centuries. It’s a great place for history buffs or those who appreciate unique architecture.
- AFFORDABLE COST OF LIVING – Compared to other cities in Georgia and the United States, St. Marys has a relatively low cost of living. Housing, groceries, and entertainment are all affordable, making it a great place to live for those on a budget. But if you’re looking for luxury, there are high-end communities available to suit that lifestyle.
- SMALL TOWN COMMUNITY – St. Marys has a tight-knit community where everyone knows each other. It’s easy to make friends and get involved in the community, whether it’s through local events, volunteering, or joining a club or organization. Not to mention, according to niche.com, St. Marys has some of the top-rated schools with an interactive youth sports community.
- SLOWER PACE OF LIFE – Living in St. Marys means enjoying a slower pace of life, which can be a welcome change from the hustle and bustle of big city living. The town is peaceful and relaxed, and there’s no rush to get anywhere or do anything.
PRO TIP- You’re entering #DawgNation, get a head start on your new wardrobe with my top-selling Georgia Tees:
5 Cons of Living in St. Marys, Georgia
- LIMITED JOB OPPORTUNITIES – St. Marys is a small town, which means that job opportunities are limited. Those who work in specialized fields or industries may have difficulty finding employment. You may need to commute to nearby cities like Jacksonville, Florida for work.
- LIMITED ENTERTAINMENT OPTIONS – St. Marys is a small town, which means that there are limited options for entertainment. There are few movie theaters, shopping centers, or nightlife spots. But with a short drive, you can enjoy entertainment in larger cities like Amelia Island or Jacksonville, FL.
- EXTREME WEATHER – St. Marys is located in an area that is prone to hurricanes and severe weather conditions. This can be a concern for those who are sensitive to extreme weather or who are worried about property damage. As always, check with your Realtor on the flood zone for your desired area.
- LIMITED SHOPPING OPTIONS – St. Marys is a small town with limited shopping options. There are only a few small local shops and grocery stores available, and residents often have to travel to larger cities for a wider variety of shopping choices. But, St. Johns Town Center has EVERYTHING the elite shopper needs and is a short 30-minute drive.
- LIMITED ACCESS TO HEALTHCARE – St. Marys has limited access to healthcare, with only a few hospitals and medical facilities in the area. This can be a concern for those with chronic medical conditions or who require specialized care. Residents may need to travel to larger cities, such as Jacksonville, for certain medical services.
Should You Move to St. Marys, Georgia?
Living in St. Marys, Georgia has its pros and cons. While it may not be the best fit for everyone, it’s a great place to live for those who enjoy natural beauty, historic charm, and a slower pace of life. It’s important to consider both the positives and negatives before making a decision to move to St. Marys, or any other town for that matter. As your local Realtor, I’m here to help you!
Questions About Moving to St. Marys, Georgia?
I’m here to help you figure out if moving to St. Mary’s, GA is for you. And if it’s not, I’m happy to assist you in finding the right Realtor elsewhere! Fill out the form below and let’s chat about your goals over a 1:1 consultation… or if you’re local, let’s grab a coffee on me!
Contact Me – Cassie Long – Licensed GA Realtor
Call/Text Direct at (404) 429-7859
Email: [email protected]
Horizon Realty, LLC 411949